Search first, to see if someone has already asked your question...

customers cant check out

Customers experiencing check out button not working. They cannot check out

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    nitronitro shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thanks nitro, thats helpful info.

So your hosts file is basically the one you can download from here?:
        http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
        I imagine its probably been blocked by our spam filter, since I assume it contains a lot of very spamming links (that's what its trying to block). But unless you've added anything new we should be able to replicate the problem with the winhelp2002 one. One last thing to check, is your hosts file up to date with the winhelp one?

I'll get someone to run some detailed tests, and find out what entry it is, if any, that's causing the problem. I would have thought it was google-related, since we use the google CDN to speed up the site by distributing javascript files, but its hard to say.

• nitronitro commented  · 

thought I would give you an update, I uninstalled my host list, in spite of there being no google references on it.
        The websites work when the host list is deleted.
        That being said, I wont be giving up my host list nor will anyone who uses them instead of an ad blocker.
        I am still unsuccessful in sending you a copy of my host list, however you can view what it looked like "winhelp2002"
        that will show a load of google on it..I delete those references, apart from that its pretty much the same

I have tried twice today to send you that host list but the emails keep coming back I sent them to support@zeald.com

my host list is hideously long but am happy to send it to you if you want to have a look...Dont think Id be able to post it on here though would be too long ( there are a lot of sex sites in teh world lol)

Should I flick it through to the support email addy that you have?
        Im not a tech so I may have missed something on it, although anything that had been on it that related to google got cleaned out
        sorry about the three posts in a row..I keep thinking of things after I have posted

forgot to mention clicking on the phrase : shopping cart is dead as a dodo..if I use a vpn proxy I can add things to cart and then get to the shopping cart...but it has no ordered items in it.

All my java and javascript appears to be totally up to date...in fact Java updated itself the other day...in between the two occassions I was actually successful in getting to the check out page...but java and javascript are different so am not sure if that played a part.
        Im at the stage now where I dont mind not being able to buy from the companies...the desire to figure out why only two wesbites in the world wont let me checkout has taken over :P
        As I mentioned other sites using zeald that use a different style/template..the shopping cart function works fine...just this particular template..doesnt seem to work for some of us

nope cleaning out host files . turning off firewalls, changing ISP's doesnt work
        i have my own website so dont have google anything blocked
        those screenshots were when i was with telecom..the last two weeks i have been with orcon...I was able to access site's checkout only twice..all i really hav eon my host lists are sex sites anyway LOL
        i added zeald and gonative as trusted sites and have security so low you could happily hack me all day..and still checkout button is dead again..its quite weird

• Forgot to mention - if your looking for a workaround - I imagine emptying out that hosts file (and maybe rebooting?) will fix the issue. Since the other guy using a custom host file on that message board was having the same issue as you I'm tending to think thats the immediate cause, and the pings and traceroutes also seem to point to some weird issues with connecting to google services - its probably redirecting some important google service, such as their AJAX libraries API or possibly analytics, in an effort to block adwords (heavy-handed given that lots of other widely used google tools use the same domains) and this is messing up the javascript of the site. If your looking to block Ads I've had success with extensions like this : http://adblockplus.org - they also give you a lot more flexibility than a hosts file (eg, to turn it off if its causing issues)

That said, if your committed to your hosts file, I certainly would like to try and make it work, and I imagine this is a bug we could fix if we could replicate it - especially as it seems a fairly commonly used technique

• Right I see, knowing the sites involved gives us something to look into.

I've hunted down the trademe message board your alluding to, assume you mean this:
        http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=1203745&topic=3

Something that I wonder, from the info on that page - it seems like there was an issue with google/urchin analytics which that site uses, and this may well be triggering a javascript error thats then stopping the rest of the code in the checkout button from executing for you. You mention in that message board that you are using a custom hosts file to block access to adware, and its possible that this is blocking google analytics/urchin. Are you able to post it, or send me a link to whereever you got it, so I can test this on our end?

Something I've just tried which may help is to upgrade the analytics code that site uses to the latest version. Give it a go and see if that's helped.

As a workaround, one thing you could try - after clicking "Add to cart" - ignore any errors it gives, but just click the link to the shopping cart in top right - that takes you to the "old school" cart. From what your describing I think that probably the item is being added to the cart, but its then failing when it tries to display it to you.

Jonathon Zim, I have done that more than once in the last 6 months.
        Let me clarify it is not my website.
        It is a website I used to be able to buy from until they updated their site and use that drop down template. the website apparently still gets orders...so they dont care...what I do know ( and I put this to the test) is that 3 out of 7 people throughout NZ cannot check out..and it doesnt matter what OS, what Firewall etc...in the last two weeks I have been able to proceed to the check out twice..and the other 150+ times not been able too ( 20+ in the last two days alone)
        It was blamed by others ( zeald incl) that It was because my ISP was Telecom..well the last two weeks I have been with Orcon..
        so I figured if I just asked a "blanket" question then someone may know what the trick is..even with the lowest possible security settings in IE internet options and NO firewall..and having the website as a trusted site etc...checkout button does nothing apart from two times when it did seem to work.
        as a result I have to import my items from USA and the website concerned has missed out on about 3k of sales.
        On their facebook page there was another person commenting that they couldnt checkout either..but I note that the comment has been removed off teh page.
        another one of your websites is also affected..again using the drop down menu..any of your sites that dont use the dropdown menu set up work fine
        one person after trying a few things ( trademe computing messsageboard) said it seemed to be a routing issue..the message "not defined" came up on his computer all the time

Feedback and Knowledge Base