Search first, to see if someone has already made your suggestion...

Automatically deduct GST for Intl Orders

Automatically deduct GST for orders with an international shipping address at checkout. Great incentive for international customers to purchase especially with GST being increased to 15% This is standard on many sites, when exporting goods etc.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BelindaBelinda shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnitaAnita commented  · 

Just wondering if there is a solution for this issue now? I notice that it was raised in 2010! Can someone please reply to my via email?

• KenKen commented  · 

Has there been any progress or conclusion reached on more flexiable GST options for overseas purchases since the last comment?

• MygoodnessMygoodness commented  · 

We would be interested in a variation on this (but which would make sense to do at the same time if this was ever done).

We would like to enter prices GST exclusive but we want to display GST inclusive prices. Then we can have the tax invoice and item receipt display the correct GST (so that the customer can get their own GST receipt rather than calling us up to email them a GST receipt when they go to get their credit card reimbursements and their accountant says where's the GST receipt).

• sinistersinister commented  · 

My apologies, it is too late for my brain and now I just saw the rest :)

Great to hear it will be discussed further. I love the idea of it being part of the preferences. Will be interesting to see what you guys can come up with!

I completely understand the business to business scenario. As a business customer when I buy online for our company I am used to seeing gst exclusive, because that is the price I am interested in seeing. But when buying from websites when it is a personal purchase I expect to see gst inclusive all the way and I cannot think of any that I buy from that show it the way suggested ... eg. of where I shop online Pumpkin Patch, Noel Leemings, Kathmandu, Mighty Ape, Fishpond etc.

Whether it becomes standard or not doesn't effect us as we already have it set up with all prices being shown as gst inclusive until a country other than NZ is selected. But I do think offering two options is necessary ... one for business to business and one for business to non-business.

At the end of the day I would hate for the end consumer to be put off in the cart by not seeing what they would expect.

• Brent KellyBrent Kelly commented  · 

Hi Sinister,

Unfortunately there are quite a few businesses that do wish to show GST exclusive prices throughout the website & in the cart. For example any organisation that sells to other businesses will generally want GST exclusive prices. Also as another B2C example, most online computer (and sometimes technology in general) stores also display prices ex. GST - e.g. http://www.eoneonline.co.nz).

This situation here is a common problem we face when considering what features to incorporate as 'standard' into the Zeald software. For some businesses what seems completely logical and sensible, is the opposite of what other businesses in other industries want.

Ideally we always try to find a solution that provides enough configuration options in the 'Preferences' area of the website admin so that a site can be configured to work precisely how people want it. Either that, or solves the problem in a way that is generic enough to be useful for everyone.

Obviously there are some improvements required in this area to suit your type of organisation/store/target customers and we will definitely be discussing it as a future improvement to the software & attempting to design a solution that works great for all :).

Thanks for your comments!

• BelindaBelinda commented  · 

sinister that's what I'm after - it should be standard on all sites which sell to customers out of NZ. Prices to be shown as GST Incl. right through and then deducting it when a country other than NZ is selected.

I think that some research needs to be done to see what the end consumer likes to see and is used to seeing and then go from there. I know for me I cannot think of any websites I buy from that show GST exclusive prices in the cart. I think it could confuse consumers seeing it set up this way.

My website is set up by Zeald as the following ...
        - Backend - Items are loaded GST inclusive
        - Frontend - Items display prices GST inclusive on the item/cat pages and in
        - Cart - shows the items including GST with no seperate GST line and has a note at the bottom "* All product prices are including New Zealand GST.", for overseas customers as soon as they click a country outside of NZ the GST portion is removed by zeald and prices are shown GST exclusive and the note at the bottom changes to "* New Zealand GST has been deducted from all product prices."

Sorry, my mistake, yes they do have it but it is one of those things which are negotiated at the start of a paid add on :(

Belinda, my website has that function inplace. So all my pricing is GST inclusive and if an international buyer comes along, when they click their country all GST is deducted. Now I just need to work out how to get this feature increased to 15% as I can't remember how it all got set up.

• BelindaBelinda commented  · 

I'm asking for orders with an international address to have GST deducted, rather than all prices be GST exclusive until checkout, as this is already available. All prices would remain GST inclusive, and only those orders with an international delivery address would then have 12.5% deducted at checkout.

• Brendan JacksonBrendan Jackson commented  · 

Our research has shown that customers do not like "add-ons" in the shopping cart. We already add freight & if we were to add GST also (as items/prices woudl need to be exclusive of GST) we would experience significant resistance & incomplete sales.

Feedback and Knowledge Base